Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Rugged Texas Cowboy - Contemporary Romance Review

Rugged Texas Cowboy by Lora Leigh (Amazon Link)

Rating: Not For Me
Source: Publisher

Description:  COWBOY AND THE CAPTIVE
Melina is one of two gorgeous twin daughters, the clever and considerate one who always spared her parents the humiliation of what her sister Maria had wrought. But now, Melina is finally ready to stand up for herself and seize control of her life—until she is kidnapped by a cowboy, named Jardin, who is dead-set on settling the score with her family. There’s only one catch: In capturing Melina, this tough, rough, hunk of a man has actually found a way to unleash her greatest fantasies, body and soul. . .

COWBOY AND THE THIEF
Beautiful, spirited Angel Manning has always longed to experience the power of her ancestors’ most precious heirloom. Her mother once told her that the legendary Irish torque would lead Angel to the one man worthy of possessing her heart. But when Angel learns that her father, now a widower, has sold the torque to the notorious two-timer Jack Riley, she is furious. Of course she plans to take back what is rightfully hers, by whatever means necessary. But the fate of the ancient Druids works in mysterious ways. . .Could it be that this slick, smooth-talking cowboy was destined to satisfy Angel’s deepest desires all along?

Genre: Romance - Contemporary

Why I Picked This Book:  It had been awhile since I read a cowboy romance and I like novellas so I thought I'd give this one a try.

My Impression:  This is the book version of the "It's not you, it's me" breakup speech.  Let me say that this book is compulsively readable.  I read the whole thing in just about one sitting.  Each time I'd think "it's time to put this up and go to bed" I'd decide to just read "one more chapter".  And we all know how that goes.  The plot of both novellas was nicely fleshed out and well paced.  There wasn't that feel of rush at the end or slow spots or any of the other pacing flaws that can sometimes curse a novella.

So what was the problem?  I'm more of a slow burn emotional connection romance reader and this was definitely more of an out of control bonfire in terms of heat.  I mean - wow.  Granted Jill Shalvis' contemporaries are on my high end of spice so use that as your guide for what to expect here. 

As for the stories they're entertaining.  Both are a take on the enemies turned not so much trope and both couples do not hold back when it comes to voicing their opinions.  There were a few times when I thought "Really?  You're attracted to him now??" as they seemed to really hate each other at that particular moment but as I continued with the story I found that I completely bought it. 

If you like your romance with some serious heat and can't resist a good enemies to lovers trope than these 2 quick reading novellas may be just the thing to keep you up reading past your bedtime.

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?  Maybe.  While this wasn't really my kind of romance I did like Leigh's writing style and would try again if the blurb really grabbed me.

Would I Recommend this Book?  If you like a lot of heat in your romance than these novellas are definitely worth a try.

6 comments:

  1. I have an entire shelf of books dedicated to Lora Leigh, and she knows how to connect with the heat for sure, but I haven't read or reread her books in some time. I got away from the erotic romance some, but I agree that her writing style is pretty phenomenal, and ropes you into her world. Great review! Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes a really great review, because you give all that you love about it and the reason you have a 'not for me' outlook on this one. It would fall into that category for me too, I do believe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I read a book but this author years ago, and had the same feeling. The whole "this isn't really for me" feeling. I never felt like the book was bad, but it just for me. I don't mind sexytimes at all, but still.

    I've also read books where I honestly didn't like them, but I couldn't put them down. Isn't that just the weirdest feeling?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't mind the heat, but sometimes novellas lack the build up in-between I need. I do love the enemies to lovers trope though and cowboys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can deal with hotter romances as long as the heat doesn't take over the story. I think I read one of her books years ago but don't remember much about it. The fact that you couldn't put it down is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL so I'd probably find these average heat-wise. Heh

    ReplyDelete