Monday, August 14, 2017

Reviews From the Children's Section - The Westing Game

One of my favorite genres and one that is the easiest for me to push aside is middle grade fiction. This year to make sure I get a little more children's and young adult fiction I thought I would designate the first Monday of every month Middle Grade Monday.  While a lot of my picks this year are classics I am trying to branch out a little bit and read new or at least recent releases.  This week's book is an old favorite but one I haven't read in decades.  It was nice to revisit it.

The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin

Description:  A bizarre chain of events begins when sixteen unlikely people gather for the reading of Samuel W. Westing's will. And though no one knows why the eccentric, game-loving millionaire has chosen a virtual stranger - and a possible murderer - to inherit his vast fortune, one thing's for sure: Sam Westing may be dead... but that won't stop him from playing one last game!

My Thoughts:  Reading an old favorite is always a little bit of a risk.  Will a book I loved as a child still be a decent read for an adult?  How much will nostalgia affect my reading experience?  Will reading it now ruin it for me?

The Westing Game exceeded my expectations and was really just a joy to read.  There's quite a large cast here and while the book does seem to center around adolescent Turtle Wexler we get a peeks of all the other characters too.  It's fun seeing the different ways each team investigates the clues they are given as well as the development of the different relationships.  The characters while not super developed are surprisingly complex with hidden secrets and weaknesses.  As part of the game each character is partnered with another making some unlikely allies and it was entertaining to watch.  The mystery isn't scary but is definitely puzzling and really a solid mystery.  Raskin isn't dumbing anything down because this is a Middle Grade book!  Even knowing the ending I really enjoyed watching the investigation and seeing the conclusion be revealed.   There are two epilogues which show what has happened to the characters 5 years from the end of the mystery and then again even more into the future which I really enjoyed but might make some readers who don't like super tied up endings a little eye rolly.

While this book was published in 1979 very little feels dated except for the occasional decor description.  There are some mentions of race and gender role issues but Raskins handles it all beautifully and with an unexpected flair.  There was one mention of a character's daughter that was born with some sort of disability (possibly Down Syndrome) that made me cringe a bit but this was literally one mention.

The plot is fairly complex and there are a lot of subtleties that I think might bore younger readers but I think any reader - especially one who loves mysteries - who is 10 or older would love this.  If you're an adult who has never read this or if this was a favorite childhood read it's definitely worth a visit.  I don't think you'll be disappointed.  Rating:  Loved it!

10 comments:

  1. I like that you get to see how each team investigates. Great review Katherine. I will add this to my list for the Royals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I've never read The Westing Game but it has been on my TBR for a ridiculously long time. So glad that going back to it you still loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate it when authors of YA and Middle Grade books do not dumb down their novels. I think the kids appreciate it too. I haven't read this one, nor heard of it, but now I want to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My son loved this book. In fact when we were packing to move here I made him donate all but his very favorite titles and The Westing Game was one he kept. I wish I could say that I was as much of a fan. Ha ha. Thanks for sharing your review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read this one, great that it lived up to your love of it when you were young.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a fun book! I didn't discover it until I was an adult. Robin was given a copy on cassette, and listened to it a number of times as her "going to sleep" book, so I heard it in bits over several years. Recently I listened to the whole thing straight through (on mp3, as we ripped to CD years ago and then to mp3 as technology changed.) It was just as delightful as I remembered.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How is it that I haven't heard of this book before? I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed it as an adult.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's been a LOOOONNNNGGGG time since I've read this book. I think it's time for a re-read! Thanks for reminding me about this golden oldie :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. All three of my kids read this book but, for some reason, I never did. Maybe because by the time they read this, it meant I wasn't having to spend reading time reading to them and had time to read my own books. I think I may still have it on the shelves of books to read to grandkids someday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Westing Game was a favorite when I was a girl. I still have my copy tucked in a box somewhere! Your lovely review makes me want to find and re-read it.

    ReplyDelete