Saturday, October 25, 2014

Fairy Homes and Gardens - Review

Fairy Homes and Gardens by Ashley Rooney and Barbara Purchia

I'm going to do this review more like a cookbook review because it's a book of photos.  There's no real written content, no plot and really you either like the topic or you don't.  If you're not a Fairy Garden person there's nothing I can say that will make you interested in this book (unless maybe how to get a fairy to give you gold or something).

That being said - I loved this book. I love miniatures and have been wanting to make my own fairy garden since seeing some on Pinterest.  So, when I saw this book come up on NetGalley I couldn't hit request fast enough.

One thing I want to be very clear on is that this is not a How-To book.  There are no laid out projects or how to turn something into something else in step by form  There's really not any suggestions for a regular reader in the book itself.

There are, however, pictures.  Tons of pictures.  Glorious pictures.  There are pictures of beautiful detailed fairy gardens in tree stumps, flower pots, bird cages, chairs, and anything else you can think of.  There is a little caption about each paragraph - who made it, where it is, and sometimes details about the materials used. While there is no instructions there is tons of inspiration.  With all the looks and materials used there is going to be something that works for you.

My only complaint is that my eARC was in PDF form.  This is a book that should be read in print form. I'm looking forward to getting a copy and paging through all the wonderful photographs.

14 comments:

  1. It sounds like a fun book. Are the photos well done? It is disappointing that there are no how-tos but it would be nice to sit and flip through the pages, looking at the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The photos a beautiful and if you're not expecting DIY it's a great book!

      Delete
  2. I think my daughter would love this book, but she's want to read the print version too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is such a fun book! I'd definitely recommend it!

      Delete
  3. I'd give it a shot. I like fairies and good photography!

    Thanks for the nice comment on my book blog. I hope if you try the Outlander series you will like it. I was hooked after the first book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try The Outlander at some point but it will be awhile! This is definitely a fun book. I'm looking forward to getting a print copy.

      Delete
  4. From what I've seen so far (I also had requested this one) it is .pdf for its arc and print for its release. I had to read it (view it) on my computer and I don't like that for any book, but it still was a beautiful thing to skim through!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. I'm looking forward to getting my mind on a print copy!

      Delete
  5. This looks fun, my kids might really enjoy it and it almost looks like a coffee table book. We saw some fairy house miniatures on vacation this summer and my daughter was interested in doing some of her own, so I may have to keep an eye out for this. They might enjoy browsing through the pics. Looks like a neat book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a coffee table book is precisely what this is! It's a lovely book and one I think all ages would enjoy. You may find yourself having to spend a lot of time finding fairy garden supplies!

      Delete
  6. I had the same reaction, Katherine! (I need to get my review written - thanks for reminding me.) I loved the photos, and it's definitely a coffee table book for the right audience. It would have been nice to have more how-to, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More how to would've been nice. I can see why it's all not how to-s but a basic one could've been fun

      Delete
  7. Now this I would love to have for my coffee table. I love fairy gardens and hidden glens. Not sure I would like the review format..but a printed copy..yes please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to getting a print copy! It's so fun!

      Delete