Monday, April 7, 2014

Under Cold Stone - Review

Under Cold Stone by Vicki Delany

Rating:  3 Stars

Description:  When Lucky Smith and Paul Keller go to an upscale resort in Banff for a fun weekend they weren't expecting trouble.  However, trouble came in a surprise run in with Paul's estranged son Matt.  It got worse after a late night phone call from Matt leads to the discovery of a dead roommate and no Matt.  The police get involved and Paul tags along with them.  Lucky calls her daughter Constable Molly Smith for help and support.  Molly shows up hoping to support her mom but ends up getting involved with the investigation and getting on the wrong side of the detective in charge.

Genre: Mystery

My Impression:  This is not the first in the series but it is the first book by Delany that I've read.  I didn't find this to be a problem as I had a clear understanding of what was going on and how everyone was related.  This is more than just a whodunnit as the main focus of Molly and her mother is to locate Matt though Molly does do some basic investigation on the side.  The setting was unique for me as I haven't really read many books set in resort towns and the focus on how the workers live was interesting.  I didn't care for the subplot involving the environmentalists and the police in Trafalgar.  While I understand showing the balance between affordable vacation homes and protecting the environment the jumping from place to place seemed unnecessary.  I also had a hard time warming up to some ofthe characters.  I liked Molly and what we saw of her fiance but never connected with Lucky and Paul's ex-wife and Bletchta, the lead detective's hostility was just a little more tension than I really like in my mysteries.  Overall, this was an interesting and unique read that was fast paced and well done though it is much more of a procedural type mystery than a cozy.

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?: Yes though I will look for one that centers around Molly more than Lucky.

Would I Recommend this Book?:  Yes

2 comments:

  1. As much as I prefer reading series books in order, I don't always get a chance to start at the beginning. It's nice to know that there are series I can jump into at any point. I haven't read anything by this author before.

    It's too bad it wasn't better, although it still sounds like a worthwhile read. You wanting to read more by the author says a lot! I will have to keep this one in mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a worthwhile read. I'm generally more impressed with an author if they can make me read a book featuring characters I don't really like. I'm looking forward to seeking more books in this series. I haven't read much set in Canada - particularly not this part. This is definitely not a series which has to be read in order which is definitely nice!

      Delete