Saturday, October 5, 2013

Rainshadow Road by Lisa Kleypas - Review


Rainshadow Road by Lisa Kleypas

Rating: 4 Stars

Description:  Lucy thinks her life is going pretty well.  She has a successful career that she loves as a glass artist and her relationship with live in boyfriend Kevin seems to be coasting along.  That is until Kevin comes in and announces that their relationship is over.  To make matters worse it's over because he has found someone else and to make things unbearable that someone else is Lucy's sister Alice.  Alice and Lucy's parents are furious at this betrayal and refuse to pay for a wedding until Alice makes peace with Lucy.  Kevin seeks out former highschool classmate Sam Nolan and convinces him to take Lucy out a time or two.

Genre: Romance

My Impression:  I adored the first book in the series but I was a little hesitant about starting this one because on the surface it looks like it uses one of my least favorite plot devices - the secret.  The way the secret usually works is two people are put together for some kind of contrived reason - spying, revenge, etc - then they actually get along and fall in love.  Then person who is having the secret kept from them discovers secret, usually from some kind of enemy.  After that is a big fight, sense of betrayal, tears and the inevitable breakup.  Things usually do work out in the end but I still don't like it.  However, when Sam was upfront with Lucy at the beginning I wanted to reach into the pages and kiss him.  I loved both Sam and Lucy.  They were honest with each other about who they were and what they wanted.  I loved that Lucy decided that she wasn't going to try to change him and stuck to it and even made plans for her future that didn't include him.  I loved the ending.  This is the story of two people with some past scars who love each other for who they truly are and don't want to change the other.  The only thing I didn't like about the book is the magic.  It seemed a bit random and completely unnecessary to the story.  I understand that there is a ghost in book 3 so maybe Kleypas wants to run a supernatural theme through the whole series but this book just didn't need it and to me it ended up being distracting.

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?:  Without question.  Kleypas is one of my favorite historical romance authors and I have loved both books in this series.  I can't wait to read the 3rd.

Would I Recommend this Book?:  Yes definitely.

No comments:

Post a Comment