Friday, August 16, 2013

Sour Apples by Sheila Connolly - Review

Sour Apples by Sheila Connolly

Rating: 3 Stars

Description:  When a dairy farmer is killed in a farm accident that starts looking like murder Meg starts investigating the farmer's claim that something on her land was poisoning the cows.  Then Meg's old friend Lauren shows up trying to gain the town's support for a local boy who is running for Congress.  Between planting an orchard expansion, trying to figure out what was wrong with the dairy farmer's land and trying to figure out why her boyfriend Seth is so reluctant to back Lauren's candidate Meg has her hands full.

Genre:  Mystery

My Impression:  I love this series but the was definitely not my favorite of the series.  Part of the problem was that I enjoyed  the previous book, Bitter Harvest, so much that I expected this one to be of similar quality and it wasn't.  The apple part was interesting as was the historical research.  I was also very glad that Seth and Meg's relationship was explored a little more  The start and stop dynamic makes a little more sense.  I did not care for Lauren at all.  I didn't like her when she had appeared in a previous book and she wasn't any better the second go round.  Meg does explain that they were primarily work friends but it still doesn't make much sense why Meg keeps trying to reach out to her.  Also, the ending felt very rushed and wasn't properly explained. I got who did it but the why didn't make a huge amount of sense.

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?:  Yes definitely.  I have #2 and 3 of her museum series in my TBR pile and am looking forward to #7 of the Orchard series.

Would I Recommend this Book?:  Not to someone who hasn't read the series.  While the mystery is pretty stand alone it would be difficult to understand who the characters are and how they relate to one another without reading the previous books in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment